Whenever you are abiding by a Paleo diet, there are just certain foods that you will no longer eat, or at least try to avoid. While white potatoes are perfectly fine in moderation, the Paleo-diet encourages healthy alternatives to traditional starches. This recipe is a great example of how, with some creativity, you can take a traditional “comfort food” and make some minor tweaks to the ingredients for a fantastic Paleo version. In this recipe, cauliflower replaces the standard white potato for a mash that works well as a side dish at any dinner. The dish takes no longer to prepare than traditional mashed potatoes, and it serves as a great, kid-friendly side item for even the pickiest eaters.
This recipe replaces butter with the use of ghee. This ingredient is commonly found in Indian and Asian food markets; if you don’t have one of those nearby, you can make it yourself at home easily by clarifying regular butter. Ghee is a substitute for those who are avoiding dairy – through the clarifying process, the milk protein, water, and sugar in butter is removed. If you don’t have this item on hand and don’t have time to make it, regular butter will work just as well if you tolerate dairy.
This recipe works best when served as a side item for a dinner. Try pairing this with other “comfort foods” for a satisfying meal. Some great protein options include the Grilled Spiced T-Bone Steak or Ribeye with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms. Add a salad or hearty vegetable side dish for a full plate that is bound to impress.
Bacon And Green Onion Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 6 cups cauliflower florets;
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled;
- 2 green onions, sliced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 2 to 4 tbsp. ghee;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and return the cauliflower to the saucepan.
- Add the ghee and season to taste.
- Purée the cauliflower with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Serve the mashed cauliflower topped with the green onions and bacon.