Mention an orange, and most of us think of the familiar, good-morning-sunshine color of the Navel variety. But in this salad, the bright flesh of the Navels is set off by the deeper pink of the cara caras and the dramatic jewel tones of blood oranges. Topped with slivers of pale yellow avocado, the result is a strikingly beautiful – and it tastes just as good as it looks. Anything tangy or acidic always brings out the best in an avocado, and citrus is no exception; the combination of juicy and smooth is irresistible.
Another really unique aspect of this salad is the fennel: fennel has a very mild flavor similar to anise; it adds a cool crunch to the final dish and sets off the sweetness of the oranges. And of course all the ingredients are extremely nutritious: there’s not much to beat the combination of citrus and avocado, especially not when you add some healthy fat in the dressing.
We don’t usually think of salad as a breakfast food, but with all the oranges, this would be the perfect side for some poached or scrambled eggs. It’s certainly a lot healthier than a morning glass of OJ: with all the fiber left in the fruit, and with no added sugar or preservatives to keep it shelf-stable, a big plate of orange slices wins out every time. Why not try it for a special weekend brunch sometime – forget about pancakes, and treat yourself to a gorgeous fresh salad in every color of the sunrise.
Citrus and Avocado Salad Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 3 navel oranges, peeled and sliced;
- 3 cara cara oranges, peeled and sliced;
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced;
- 1/2 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced;
- 1 avocado, sliced;
- 1 scallion, very thinly sliced;
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil;
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar;
- 1 tbsp. honey; (optional)
- Fresh dill;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- On a serving plate, arrange all the oranges in a layer and top with the avocado and fennel.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, honey (if using), and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and garnish with scallions and fresh dill.