When the afternoons turn sticky and muggy, there’s nothing more refreshing than a fridge-crisp cucumber, preferably with a sprinkle of bright, tangy dill seeds. You could make some homemade pickles, of course, but if you want your cucs right now, this quick salad is a perfect solution. Just mix it all up and leave it to chill until you’re ready to dig in.
This would make an ideal side for anything grilled: try it with a burger (or an Aussie burger, if you’re feeling really brave), or maybe some salmon skewers if fish is more your style. It’s especially good for any kind of party, because it’s so low-effort: you can make the salad earlier in the day and then just pull it out of the fridge when dinnertime rolls around. On those days when the house is just too hot to even think of cooking, it’s a quick and tasty way to make sure you get at least some vegetables in with your dinner.
If you can’t get enough of that creamy dill-flavored dressing, you could also try it as a dip for carrot sticks, pepper strips, or any other raw vegetables that tickle your fancy. It’s a great snack for kids, too (there’s actually been a study on this: kids eat more vegetables with dip than without). Just make a double batch of the dressing and save the rest as an instant hot-weather update for all your favorite vegetables.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 lb. cucumber, sliced;
- ¼ cup homemade mayonnaise;
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped;
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped;
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, dill, chives, vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the cucumber slices to the bowl, and stir gently until everything is combined.
- Refrigerate or serve right away.