Add some zing to a tender pork chop with a lime and cumin spice rub, turn up the heat with fresh-cracked peppercorns, and then serve it all with a side of juicy mango slices warmed up in the skillet: it’s a fresh new take on the pork-fruit combination, and with just a few minutes of prep time, it’s bound to be a hit with the chef as well.
If it’s still a little cold for grilling where you live, you can also cook the pork chops using your favorite indoor method – a safe technique is to sear them for a minute or two on each side, and then bake them for about 30 minutes, or until they’re well-done. Another variation is to follow the recipe as directed, but with chicken in place of pork. Either way, it’s just as delicious, so pick whichever sounds better to you.
It’s good to have a vegetable side with every meal, even if you’re also having fruit, but it doesn’t have to be fancy: a quick side of sautéed spinach would be perfect, or you could just throw some vegetables on the grill along with the meat. Plate it up all together and enjoy! If you have any leftover meat, it’s also delicious on a Cuban-inspired salad the next day, but you may want to make extras on purpose if that’s your plan: these pork chops tend to disappear fast.
Cuban Style Pork Chops Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 2 lb. boneless pork loin or rib chops;
- 2 tbsp. grated lime peel;
- 1tbsp. cumin seed;
- 1tbsp. freshly cracked black pepper;
- 2tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
Ingredients for the mango side
- 1 large mango, cut in small slices;
- Juice from 1 lime;
- 1 tbsp. raw honey; (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your grill to a medium-high heat.
- In small bowl, combine the grated lime, cumin, garlic, black pepper, olive oil, and sea salt to taste.
- Rub the Cuban marinade evenly on both sides of the pork chops.
- Grill the chops for 6 to 8 minutes, turning every few minutes, until cooked through.
Mango Side Preparation
- Add some cooking fat on a skillet placed over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until it starts to brown.
- Add the mango, the lime juice, the honey, and season to taste. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Serve the pork chops with the mango on the side.