This salad is a little taste of summer: bright, crunchy vegetables in a ginger vinaigrette with grilled chicken on top. The chicken breast is marinated in the same sauce that eventually becomes the dressing, so you get the flavor all the way through the salad. For everyone stuck in the Northern hemisphere right now, it’s a nice break from soups and stews, and even an excuse to haul out the grill (or just pan-fry the chicken in some more olive oil).
For the dressing, the honey and Sriracha sauce (which you can also make yourself!) are both optional; add one or both depending on whether you want it spicy, sweet, or both. Just watch out for the instructions – you’ll end up dividing the marinade into two different amounts, one of which goes on the raw chicken and one of which definitely shouldn’t.
To make this even faster and easier than it already is, you can buy pre-shredded cabbage and carrots, and pre-chopped kale. It’s not “too lazy” if it actually helps you eat well! This is solid enough that could be a light meal on its own, or add some extra starch if you want it (this would be really nice with one of those Okinawan sweet potatoes, the ones with purple skin and white flesh)
Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless;
- 4 cups kale, chopped and stemmed;
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded;
- 2 cups shredded carrots;
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced;
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, thinly sliced;
Ingredients for the dressing/marinade
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos;
- 2 tbsp. ginger, minced;
- 4 tbsp. olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- 1 tsp. Sriracha; (optional; leave out for AIP)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar;
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing/marinade except for the vinegar.
- Place the chicken in a second bowl or other container. Add 3 tbsp. of the marinade, and let marinate 30 to 60 minutes.
- In the first bowl, whisk the white wine vinegar into the remaining marinade to create the dressing.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken on the preheated grill discarding any remaining marinade (but don’t throw out the dressing, just the marinade that was in with the chicken).
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in the center. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the chicken breasts.
- In a bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients, drizzle with the vinaigrette, and toss gently.
- Serve the salad topped with the chicken slices.