Nothing says “fall flavor” quite like the taste of apples. The tang of a perfectly ripe one can bring back memories of what we love about this season – piles of leaves, brisk air, and warm, home-cooked meals. While apples are a healthy snack by themselves, their unique taste can be incorporated into main dishes quite nicely. This savory mushroom, apple, and pork recipe is a healthy alternative to many of the traditional stuffing-filled meats that you’ll find during the holiday season, thereby allowing you to enjoy a meal without foregoing your nutritional needs. Enjoy the holidays with this Paleo reiteration of the basic pork and applesauce you may have enjoyed in your youth, and be the star of any gathering with its distinctive presentation!
The combination of ingredients in this dish makes it a unique and savory meal. The sweet taste of apples is spiced up with the addition of celery, shallots, and garlic, and the incorporation of mushrooms adds an earthy complexity to the meal. Although it can appear complicated at first, the construction of this dish is extremely easy. Just make sure that you have toothpicks on hand to keep your pork rolled up correctly.
This hearty dish is best served with a light side option. To keep a fruit-themed meal, try pairing with this unique take on Brussel sprouts, another wonderful fall option. If you are hoping for a more simple flavor combination, try the mixed greens, fennel, and red pear salad for a dish that’s simply sophisticated.
Mushroom And Apple Stuffed Rolled Pork Recipe
- 1/2 lb. thinly sliced pork loin;
- 1 apple, minced;
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced;
- 1 celery stalk, minced;
- 1 shallot, minced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 egg, beaten;
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, combine the apple, mushroom, celery, shallot, garlic, and lemon juice; season to taste.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool; add the beaten egg and mix until well combined.
- Place about 1 tbsp. of apple-mushroom mixture on each pork slice.
- Roll the pork slices and secure with a tooth pick.
- Heat some cooking fat in a skillet and cook each pork roll on all sides until cooked through.
- Serve with fresh parsley.