Anytime there are guests to entertain, the question of what to serve for a main dish is always a concern. What’s something that will be fairly simply to make, but still impressive? Which dish will most people likely try and enjoy, while still having unique flavors that can help it stand out? If you find yourself this situation, consider this Roasted Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce. It’s a main course meal that uses a traditional roasted, whole chicken, but spices things up with the use of Chimichurri, a unique, flavorful sauce heralding from South America. This dish will need a lot of time and attention to be successful, so be mindful of the instructions and your oven timer during its preparation. The results will not disappoint!
This dish includes sweet potatoes and carrots, which helps save a bit of time since it will double as a side dish. For additional flavor variety, you can add more items to the dish prior to baking, such as other root vegetables (like turnips or rutabagas), or peeled and cubed winter squash. If you are serving this meal as part of a holiday feast, try starting with Oven Baked Zucchini Fritters and adding a Waldorf Salad to your menu for a complete, dinner experience that you and your guests will love!
Whole Roasted Chicken With Chimichuri Sauce Recipe
- 4 to 5 lb. whole chicken;
- 1 onion, diced;
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced;
- 2 carrots, sliced;
Ingredients for Chimichuri Sauce
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves;
- 4 to 5 green onions;
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves;
- 5 sprigs of fresh oregano leaves;
- 1 tsp. dried chili pepper flakes;
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar;
- 3/4 cup olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place all the ingredients for the Chimichurri sauce in a food processor, season to taste; pulse until smooth.
- Rub the chicken evenly with the Chimichurri sauce, making sure to go over and under the skin.
- Set extra sauce aside.
- Place the vegetables in the bottom of a baking dish; place the chicken on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Lower heat to 375 F and continue cooking for an additional 40 minutes, basting with the remaining sauce every 10 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest 4 to 5 minutes before slicing, serve the chicken with the baked vegetables.