The best part about a slow cooker recipe is the ease of preparation. Sure, the total cook time might be 8 hours – but of that, you might have 30 minutes or less of preparation to deal with. As long as you can remember to get this dish in the slow cooker as you are starting your day, you’ll be in for a delicious main course waiting for you at dinnertime. This variation on roast beef produces a tender, simple roast, seasoned with just enough spices to bring out the natural flavors of the meat. It’s a simple and kid-friendly recipe that works great on any weeknight when you know you’ll be short on time to get dinner on the table.
Let’s chat a bit about the inclusion of roast beef in this recipe. Red meat sometimes gets a bad rap, even in Paleo circles, for supposed health risks associated with eating it. However, most studies that claim this to be the case do not discriminate healthy red meat consumption from unhealthy (we’re talking fast foods here). In reality, red meat is packed with an array of micronutrients, protein, and other healthy components that make it a great addition to a meal. If you are concerned about the ethics or chemicals included in your meat, you can always opt to purchase beef sourced from organic, local farmers – it will be considerably more expensive, however, so do what works for you.
For a truly simple meal, pair this dish with whichever salad suits what you have on hand for a quick-to-prepare dinner. If you have a bit more time before serving, consider adding a simple vegetable side like the Roasted Cauliflower with Mint and Pomegranate for a colorful plate.
Slow Cooker Herb And Garlic Roast Beef Recipe
- 2 lb. roast beef;
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced;;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1/2 cup beef stock;
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar;
- 1/4 cup olive oil;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, combine the parsley, rosemary, garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Season the beef to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub the roast all over with the herb and garlic mixture.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker and pour the beef stock around the beef.
- Cover the slow cooker; cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Let the roast rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.