Get the latest Paleo news this week, and then scroll down to see a brand-new feature of our What’s Happening posts: a quiz where you can test your Paleo smarts and see how much you really know about Paleo nutrition. This week, we’re featuring carbs and sugar – do you know your Paleo starches? But first, for the news:
- We all spend a lot of time talking about things that can go wrong, but your body is actually extremely tough! (Mark’s Daily Apple). Yes, it’s important to consider the possibility of disease, but it shouldn’t prevent you from living at all!
- The good folks at Breaking Muscle would like to remind us all that there’s no such thing as “not enough time;” there’s only “having other priorities.”
- The “30-day challenge” model might work for some people, but it’s not for everyone. (The Paleo Drummer) If it works for you, more power to you, but if you end up caught in an endless cycle of “challenges” and compensatory binging, it might be time to rethink your approach to Paleo.
- Some thoughts on the gut flora and depression from Emily Deans at Evolutionary Psychiatry.
- And gut flora don’t just keep you happy; they keep you thin, too, at least in this new study showing that gut flora modification is a major factor in weight loss. (SuppVersity)
- Need a back-to-basics review of saturated fat, cholesterol, and heart disease? Here’s a readable and well-argued explanation form Chris Kresser. It covers the two main questions: does dietary saturated fat and/or cholesterol raise blood cholesterol, and does higher blood cholesterol really have anything to do with heart disease?
- A low-carb diet improves the long-term outlook for people with impaired glucose tolerance: the subjects lost weight and avoided developing full-blown diabetes. (Dr. Briffa).
And now for the quiz! Test your mettle against some tough questions about carbs and Paleo (don’t worry, the answers are all explained if you need a refresher). No fair cheating by looking anything up: do your best with what you know, and see what new information you can learn!