As the seasons change, so does the selection of vegetables. We gradually move away from the delicate tomatoes and young zucchinis fresh from the summer sun, as we enter the world of hardy winter vegetables and pumpkin soups with warming curry spices. It is a beautiful time of year when we have time to decelerate, relax, reflect and spend more time in the kitchen, cooking up potfuls of soups and stews.
Winter is a time to explore forgotten vegetables, such as the mighty, and humble, rutabaga. It can be slow cooked with beef, served as a sweet potato and rutabaga mash with your holiday meals, or simply added to your pot roast for flavorful bites of a well-seasoned goodness. Rutabagas are not turnips, though those are lovely vegetables too, not to be confused by the fact that they both belong to the cabbage family. Rutabagas are larger, sweeter and more yellowish, rather than having shades of purple. If you can get them from the market with the leaves still attached, those can be lightly steamed as well, for a nutrient-dense side dish. Let us suggest to sprinkle on a hint of marjoram…
For starters, a thick carrot soup with leftover vegetable stock and herbs de Provence will do nicely. Chances are good that you will have extra to reheat the following day, so that you can spend more time in life doing what you love – staying healthy with home cooked meals all the while.
Simple Chicken With Winter Vegetables Recipe
Protein: 38g / %
Carbs: 23g / %
Fat: 18g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, boneless, skinless and cut into cubes
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1 rutabaga, cut into cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Season the chicken to taste with salt, pepper and half of the Italian seasoning.
- Place the chicken on a lightly greased baking sheet or pan.
- In a bowl, combine all the vegetables and dried cranberries, drizzle with the olive oil, season to taste, and sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning. Toss until well coated.
- Add the vegetables around the chicken and place in the oven.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.