Every once in a while it pays to look around and take foodie inspiration from other lands, absorb all that you have learned and mix it with your own preferred spices. Take the humble braised red cabbage and apples with apple cider vinegar: one could say that this is very German. One may even choose to add caraway seeds and juniper berries to reflect this particular spice culture. On the flip side, you could also leave the spices out of the cabbage altogether, allowing the natural flavors to burst through, saving the lime zest, thyme, cumin and cayenne pepper as a rub for the ribs.
There is no wrong way to cook, there are only different interpretations of similar dishes. Everything you cook – with your own energy, with your own ideals, with love – will turn out as well as the effort that went into it. If you love ribs, and red cabbage and apples, there is no way this meal will fall short of your expectations. Grab the rib by the bone and decide how you want to cook it. Alternatively, you can braise the ribs instead of grilling them, in a more traditional preparation. When you have the time, slow cooking is the way to go.
For a well-rounded meal, let us suggest a salad of mixed greens, fennel and red pear with blueberries. This will add a delicate amount of raw crunch, at the same time creating an enticing color palate to ensure that every bite will be eaten.
Spiced Ribs With Cabbage And Apples Recipe
Protein: 21g / %
Carbs: 28g / %
Fat: 47g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 rack of ribs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Cabbage and Apple Ingredients
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 2 lbs. red cabbage, shredded (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with preparing the cabbage and apples.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the ghee. Quickly add the cabbage, onion, and vinegar. Season to taste, cover the pan and cook for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples and continue to cook, covered, for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat once cabbage and apples are tender.
- While the cabbage is cooking, prepare the ribs:
- Combine olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, thyme, lime zest, salt and garlic. Mix thoroughly.
- Rub the ribs with the marinade.
- Heat your grill to medium-low and cook the ribs, meaty side down, for approximately 30 – 45 minutes. Then flip the ribs and cook for 15 more minutes longer.
- Remove from the grill and serve cabbage and apples.