Salads are so much fun to put together – finding your favorite ingredients, taking the time to prep your dish, and layering in the great flavors you’ve found can be a cathartic experience. But salads are an easy dish to fall into the same patterns about as well, especially if you have a limited produce selection where you normally shop. This salad combines the earthiness of beats, bitterness of raw broccoli, and the sweetness of red bell peppers all with an almond vinaigrette to meld the flavors together. The end result is a salad blend that’s vegetarian-friendly, quick to prepare, and perfect for a light lunch or to add a protein of your choice for a more filling meal.
Have you ever used mache before? While this green isn’t as common in many western markets, it’s a delicious variation on some of the more common salad bases we see frequently. Unlike many greens, mache has a distinctive nutty flavor, but it is just as soft raw as a green like spinach (no blanching required here). It also includes a host of nutritional benefits, including Vitamin C, iron, and potassium. To find this green, try checking with your local farmer’s market to see if anyone grows it. If you’re in a pinch, this salad can also be made with an alternative green as needed.
Beet, Broccoli And Mache Salad With Almond Vinaigrette Recipe
Protein: 7g / %
Carbs: 21g / %
Fat: 13g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 8 cups mache
- 2 medium cooked beets, julienned
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
Ingredients for the Almond Vinaigrette
- 4 tbsp. almond butter
- 1/4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. raw honey
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the almond vinaigrette and whisk until everything is emulsified.
- Assemble the salad by mixing all the ingredients for the salad except the almonds in a bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and gently toss everything.
- Serve the salad topped with chopped almond pieces.