Can’t decide whether you want salmon or bacon for dinner? Try both! Yes, it’s pretty rich, but plenty of fresh tarragon and lemon zest keep the recipe from getting greasy or overwhelming, and the final flavor combination is delicious. If you’re trying to impress anyone special, this is definitely a dish to consider (just don’t let them see how easy it really is to make.)
If that person you’re trying to impress is a fellow health nerd, you can also wow them with the nutritional benefits of eating all that salmon: plenty of anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fats, Vitamin D, iodine, selenium, and other minerals from the sea. To get the most nutrition, just make sure you’re getting truly wild-caught salmon, not farmed.
This salmon would be great with a quick side of roasted asparagus or green beans, and maybe a scoop of mashed potatoes if you’d like some starch with that. Try some lemonade, too, if you really want to get fancy: the tartness is a nice contrast with the rich salmon. However you serve it, it’s a great option for anything from a special dinner to just treating yourself.
Bacon-Wrapped Salmon Recipe
Protein: 108g / %
Carbs: 13g / %
Fat: 64g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 wild salmon fillets, about 5 oz. each (that’s just under 2 lbs of salmon in total);
- 2 sprigs tarragon, cut in half;
- Zest of 1 lemon;
- 8 slices of bacon;
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or raw honey; (optional)
- Cooking fat;
- Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Season the salmon to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Top each fillet with a sprig of tarragon and some lemon zest.
- Wrap each fillet with 2 slices of bacon.
- Heat some cooking fat in a large ovenproof skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Fry the salmon on each side until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side).
- Brush each fillet with the maple syrup or honey, if using, and transfer to the oven.
- Place the salmon in the oven until cooked through (about 8 to 10 minutes).