If you're looking for a delicious and healthy meatloaf recipe that fits into a paleo diet, look no further than bison meatloaf. Bison is a lean protein that is packed with flavor and nutrients, making it the perfect choice for anyone who wants to eat healthy while still enjoying their favorite foods.
One of the biggest challenges with cooking bison, however, is keeping it from becoming dry when baked. To avoid this, try adding some moisture to your meatloaf by using a combination of almond flour and vegetables like zucchini and carrots. This will not only help keep your meatloaf moist, but it will also add some extra flavor and nutrition to the dish.
Another great thing about bison meatloaf is that it is incredibly versatile and can be paired with a wide range of side dishes. If you're looking for some paleo-friendly ideas, try serving your meatloaf with a side of mashed sweet potatoes, paleo-mashed potatoes, or mashed cauliflower. These are delicious, easy to make and fit into the paleo diet, making them a perfect complement to your protein-rich main course.
If you're new to the paleo diet or are simply looking for some tips on how to make the most of your bison meatloaf recipe, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure you're using high-quality ingredients that are fresh and free of preservatives and additives. This will not only ensure that your meatloaf tastes great, but it will also help you stay on track with your paleo diet by avoiding processed foods.
Additionally, be sure to experiment with different herbs and spices to add flavor to your meatloaf. Some great options to consider include rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, and paprika. And don't be afraid to get creative with your side dishes - the possibilities are endless when it comes to paleo-friendly pairings that will complement your bison meatloaf perfectly.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup grated zucchini
- ½ cup grated onion
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 tablespoon cooking fat, beef tallow, lard, or bacon grease
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Bison Meatloaf
Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour and coconut milk, then set it aside.
Now, you will melt the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the carrots, zucchini, garlic, and onion. Stir and cook until it begins to brown. Then, transfer it into a large bowl.
Pour the almond flour and coconut milk mixture into the bowl with the cooked vegetables. Stir this together. Then, add in the ground bison, egg, and rosemary.
Stir this together and add salt and pepper to your preferences. You may need to use clean hands to combine this completely.
Form the mixture into a loaf around 4"x9" and either place it onto a baking dish or in a loaf pan.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until it has reached 160°F internally at the thickest portion. Let it stand in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and slicing it to serve.
More Bison Recipes
If this bison meatloaf isn't your style, check out the rest of our bison recipes. We love sharing unique game meat recipes, and below are some simple ways to add bison to your meal plan. Take a moment to bookmark your favorite recipes, print them out, or even just pin to Pinterest so they are handy.
- Bison Bulalo Recipe
- Tasty Bison Stew Recipe
- Bison and Meatball Stew Recipe
- Slow Cooker Paleo Bison Stew Recipe
Paleo Bison Meatloaf
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Then, in a bowl, mix together coconut milk and almond flour and set aside.2 cups almond flour, ⅓ cup coconut milk
- Next, heat a skillet over medium heat and cook carrots, zucchini, garlic, and onion in cooking fat until they begin to brown.2 cloves garlic, ½ cup grated carrot, ½ cup grated zucchini, ½ cup grated onion, 3 tablespoon cooking fat
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a separate bowl and add in the coconut milk and almond flour mixture, ground bison, egg, and rosemary. Mix well, and season with salt and pepper to your desired taste.1 lb ground bison, 1 egg, ¼ teaspoon fresh rosemary, Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Once everything is thoroughly mixed, form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place it in a 4 x 9 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes.
- Add paleo-friendly ketchup or barbecue sauce on top of the meatloaf for added moisture.
- After grating the zucchini and onion, pat dry to remove excess moisture before browning.
- Add in other vegetables if desired, such as mushrooms, bell peppers, squash, or celery.