Slow cooked mushrooms covered in a rich, creamy sauce is a filling side dish fit for both Paleo-lovers and vegetarians. These savory bites are enhanced by the taste of rich fats, like coconut milk and ghee. Vegans can also enjoy this dish by replacing the ghee with another type of cooking fat.
The ghee gives the mushrooms a slightly nutty flavor and brings out the flavor of the herbs. The coconut milk and vegetable stock adds a savory and rich flavor, too. Be sure to buy a full-fat can of coconut milk, not the lite stuff!
Slow Cooker Herb Mushrooms Recipe
- 24 oz. cremini mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil;
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano;
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme;
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- 1 bay leaf;
- 1 cup vegetable stock;
- 1/4 cup coconut milk;
- 2 tbsp. ghee;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Place the mushrooms, garlic, and herbs in a slow cooker.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and season to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add in the coconut milk, stir, and cook until warmed.
- Remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings, and serve.