The Waldorf salad was first created at the Waldorf Hotel in New York city. It’s simple and light so it goes well with a heavier main course. It features raw apples, celery and walnuts mixed with mayonnaise. The crunch and sweetness of the walnuts and apples really bring an interesting texture. The mayonnaise is often substituted for yogurt and fresh grapes as well as cooked chicken or turkey is often added. Feel free to add your own touch to it. I’ve also seen it with hard broiled eggs. I think bacon would also be a good idea. When isn’t bacon a good idea?
It’s a nice and simple recipe to fall back on when you lack ideas for something everyone will love and that doesn’t require fancy ingredients. The best time to make it is around the end of the summer when the local fresh apples are cheap and plentiful.
Waldorf salad recipe
Serves 4 people.Add to Meal Plan
- 1 cup chopped walnuts;
- 1 cup diced celery;
- Optionally, 1 cup fresh grapes and/or leftover chicken;
- 2 red apples, cored and sliced;
- 1/4 cup green onions;
- 2 tbsp lemon juice;
- 8 tbsp homemade paleo mayonnaise;
- Romaine lettuce leaves for serving;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a large bowl and season to taste.
- Add the walnuts, celery, apples, green onions as well as grapes and chicken (if using) and mix it all together.
- Serve the salad on a bed of romaine lettuce.