This one-dish stew has some of the best attributes of a great meal – easy preparation, healthy ingredients, and a unique, delicious taste. In this dish, the best flavors of Africa come together to create an impressive and satisfying meal for the Paleo eater. It’s a quick dish that is fantastic the day of preparation or as leftovers. If you are looking something that will create variety in your flavor choices, this is the meal for you!
This dish includes healthy, whole ingredients including nutrient-packet vegetables, ginger, and chicken breast. The spices in this dish will add a layer of intensity to the dish – although the coconut milk and broth dilute the flavors a bit, consider cutting the amount of cayenne pepper used if you prefer a milder meal.
Although the ingredient list for this dish may seem complicated, taking a few minutes to get everything set out and prepped will be a huge timesaver once you get started. Make sure to gather your spices and measures before you dive in, and this dish will come together quite easily. To accompany this meal, pair it with a simple, cold salad (this Tomato and Spinach Salad is a great choice) – this will provide a break from some of the more intense flavors of the dish and create a balance to your meal. After you’re finished, consider using up any remaining coconut milk with a delicious coconut milk drink or dessert for a distinctively sweet, Paleo treat.
African-Style Almond & Chicken Stew Recipe
Protein: 34g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 31g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless and chopped into cubes
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, sliced
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt some cooking fat (about 1 tbsp.) in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cayenne, and coriander and cook, stirring until soft (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the chicken and stir until well coated with spice mixture. Cook until browned (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Pour in the chicken stock, coconut milk, and almond butter; stir until well mixed.
- Add in the sweet potato and tomato; bring stew to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve the stew topped with fresh sliced almonds.