Not every salad needs a base of traditional greens to taste great. This salad uses a sliced fennel bulb to create a small “green” layer while packing in a ton of flavor with the addition of fruit and a sweet, homemade dressing. This salad is easy and quick to prepare, vegetarian-friendly, and can entice your kids to try salad as well with the inclusion of fruit.
This dish uses a fennel bulb, a unique addition to salad that you can find easily in local farmer’s markets or even some grocery stores. Fennel is a nutrient-dense veggie that includes high amounts of Vitamin C and phytonutrients – a delicious addition to a Paleo-eaters culinary repertoire. A few quick notes about using fennel bulbs: Look for bulbs that have green stalks and a firm white base – it shouldn’t feel soft or flimsy. The entire plant is edible, so wash the stalks well before prepping so you can include those too. Make very thin cuts as you prep – fennel has a texture like celery, so cutting thin amounts can help spread the flavor and density of this a bit more through your plate.
This salad is carb and fats heavy, so try pairing this with a high protein dish to balance the macronutrients of your meal. If you’re prepping this salad for lunch, try topping with a simple, chopped hard-boiled egg or two. For dinner, this versatile salad works well with nearly any main course. For a dish that complements the citrus flavors, try serving with this Maple Chili Pork Tenderloin.
Apple Cranberry Salad With Citrus Dressing Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 34g / %
Fat: 23g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 red apple
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
Ingredients for the Citrus Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the citrus dressing, season with salt and pepper to taste, and whisk until well combined.
- Core and spiralize both apples.
- Add the spiralized apples, sliced fennel, and cranberries to a salad bowl.
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss until everything is well coated.
- Serve the salad topped with toasted pine nuts.