Cabbage rolls are simply divine. Consequently, we have never met a cabbage roll that we did not like. But it is so much more than the flavors of cabbage, tomato, onion, herbs and pork, baking and slowly simmering together. No, it is about the family and friendship that comes with rolling up a large batch of these beauties. Since this recipe makes 6 servings, it is time to send out the dinner invites – or plan on stunningly delicious leftovers (they do taste better warmed up the second, or even third time)!
Share, or keep them all to yourself, we aren’t here to judge. However, we are here to say that it is good to stick to the plan and make the sweet tomato sauce at the beginning of the food preparation. It would be easiest to just toss in that can of tomato sauce, but the sensations of a an old-world speciality would be lost in translation. As such, slow cooking has its many and varied charms – it imparts amazing flavor by combining key ingredients, at just the right time, so the end result is irresistible. And that is exactly what you want to accomplish with the sauce. Remember, stick to the ingredients, and they will surprise and nourish you.
To add a bite of refreshing sourness on the side, we recommend lacto-fermented cabbage (sauerkraut) to keep the meal light. To keep the meal classic, with a Paleo twist, add some Paleo sour cream on top of your cabbage rolls. There are no words to describe that kind of magical combination.
Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Protein: 43g / %
Carbs: 26g / %
Fat: 40g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped and pan-fried
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried mixed herbs of your choice (i.e. parsley and oregano)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 10 large cabbage leaves, blanched
Sweet Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil (ghee or avocado oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 14oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- To make the sauce, add the onion to a saucepan with the oil and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, stock and season to taste.
- Lower the heat and cook for 15-20 minutes until reduced.
- To make the filling, combine the ground pork and beef with the fried onion, egg, herbs and spices; mix well.
- To make the rolls, take a small handful of the meat mixture and place in the center of each cabbage leaf. Tightly tuck and roll the cabbage leaf.
- Place half of the sauce at the bottom of an oven-proof dish then add the cabbage rolls and spoon over the remaining sauce.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes.