Salad is a great way to get a dose of healthy greens in your diet, but not everyone loves the taste of raw vegetables that you find in traditional mixes, and store-bought fruit salads often include non-Paleo sweeteners and unnecessary preservatives that don’t jive with a Paleo diet. Fortunately, preparing a fresh and healthy salad is a simple and fun way to add variety to your diet, and this fruit and greens blend is a perfect dish to accomplish this. This vegetarian recipe is quick to prepare, and the ingredients list here is kid-friendly. It’s also a great dish to introduce children to cooking – they’ll have a bunch of fun adding the ingredients and, if you have a melon baller, using it to scoop versus slice the watermelon.
How this dish turns out depends on the quality of the ingredients you select, so be picky at the grocery store and look for fresh, ripe fruits to include. Watch to make sure your fruits are ready to prepare and just ripe enough – it’s no fun when you start prepping and find moldy berries or an underripe melon. For the greens base, try using a mix of fresh spinach and kale for a serving of awesome micronutrients.
If you’re prepping this dish for lunch, balance out your macros by prepping some steamed shrimp to top your salad with. For dinner, look for a protein-based main course that complements the sweet flavors here – we really like the idea of pairing this with a dish like the Hawaiian-style chicken for a sweet and tangy meal.
Grapefruit And Watermelon Salad Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 19g / %
Fat: 6g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 grapefruit or 2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 4 to 5 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups watermelon, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Ingredients for the Pomegranate Dressing
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. raw honey (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and whisk until well mixed.
- Place the mixed greens in a salad bowl and add the grapefruit, strawberries, and watermelon.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and top with walnuts.