Pineapple isn’t just for fruit salads! Slide it onto a skewer with a few chunks of chicken breast and grill everything with honey-mustard barbecue sauce for an easy and flavor-packed summer treat. It tastes a little bit like Hawaiian barbecue pizza – if Hawaiian barbecue pizza were a whole lot more flavorful and also actually good for you!
The recipe even makes enough sauce to serve extra with your skewers for dipping, in case you just can’t get enough of it. If you have any left over, save it for topping burgers, marinating other meat, or dipping vegetables later; if you’re not going to use it right now, you can just freeze it until you want it.
Since skewers work so well as finger food, they’re perfect for kids, or for any kind of barbecue party where you’re feeding people without a formal table setting. To make things really easy, you could serve them with a chilled fruit salad (prep ahead of time and just leave it in the fridge until you’re ready) or just toss some extra vegetables (zucchini or yellow squash would be good) onto the grill. Or go with something completely different; luckily, this is a meal that’s easy to come up with sides for, so you can spend less time cooking and more time enjoying the results.
Chicken and Pineapple Skewers Recipe
- 1 cup homemade ketchup;
- ¼ cup honey;
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- Juice of 1 lemon;
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes;
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks;
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Combine the ketchup, honey, mustard, garlic, and lemon juice in a saucepan placed over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cook until thickened, and set aside.
- Preheat a grill to a medium-high heat.
- Thread alternating pieces of chicken and pineapple onto the skewers.
- Season skewers with salt and pepper.
- Pour about half the sauce into a bowl, and brush the skewers with some of the remaining sauce.
- Cook the skewers on the grill, basting regularly with the barbecue sauce, until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Serve with the remaining barbecue sauce.