Remember those “learning to cook” days of uncomplicated meals such as chicken and tomato soup? The aromas, the straightforward ingredients and the effortless preparation that went into a comforting bowl of homemade goodness… Simple meals have a tendency to leave a lasting impression, and they do so with good reason. We love to go back to our favorites time and time again because they bring many happy memories along with them. And we have just made a new merry memory, involving chicken and a scrumptious tomato curry, that we would love to share with you.
We are leaving the fantasy and the fluff out – no bread here! – and simply calling this recipe: chicken with creamy tomato curry. If you are a lover of healing spices such as turmeric, cumin and garam masala, then you are going to adore this warming dish. It is perfectly well and good to use store-bought garam masala, yet if you want to up your game in the kitchen, it is to your advantage to create your own, using a mix of several herbs and spices. Recipes for garam masala are abound, be on the lookout!
If you are feeling particularly adventurous in cultivating your cooking skills, you may wish to adorn your steaming bowl of curry with something more than finely chopped cilantro, how about a generous dollop of homemade yogurt instead? There is a learning curve to overcome, but it is a tasty one. Once you master the art of handling live bacteria and probiotics, your gut will thank you for it.
Chicken With Creamy Tomato Curry Recipe
Protein: 64g / %
Carbs: 11g / %
Fat: 29g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer chicken to a baking pan and place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Melt the cooking fat in a skillet over medium heat; then add the onion, ginger and garlic.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are fragrant and soft.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and all the spices, give everything a good stir.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and puree the tomato curry using an emulsifier blender until smooth.
- Stir in the coconut milk, give another good stir, and heat 2 minutes longer.
- Serve tomato curry in bowls with baked chicken legs on top.