Cooking a whole turkey can be a massive project – what about just the breasts? That way, you don’t have to worry about cooking light and dark meat in the same oven at the same time, and the amount of food is a little more manageable. This recipe goes to show that you don’t even have to sacrifice stuffing to do it: you can put the stuffing right in the breasts and get on with dinner.
Of course, there are no day-old chunks of bread in this stuffing: it’s made of apples, mushrooms, nuts, and herbs, with just a little bit of bacon to add some fat and flavor. To get it inside the turkey breasts, all you need to do is butterfly the breasts: lay each breast down on the counter, and then cut through the middle with your knife parallel to the countertop, until you can open the breast like a book. Then you can spread the stuffing out over the flat surface and roll up the breast to cook it.
It sounds complicated, but it’s actually easier in practice than it is in theory. Once the breasts are rolled up, just tie them together and they’ll be ready to cook. Serve them with baked sweet potatoes, roasted vegetables, or anything else – this would be a great way to try out sides you meant to make for Thanksgiving but didn’t quite get around to.
Cranberry And Apple Stuffed Turkey Breasts Recipe
Protein: 40g / %
Carbs: 18g / %
Fat: 22g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 skinless boneless turkey breasts;
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, chopped;
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries;
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped;
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped;
- 4 bacon slices, chopped;
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced;
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Cooking twine;
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- With a sharp knife, butterfly each breast open to lay flat.
- Place each breast between two sheets of waxed paper, and flatten with a mallet.
- In a bowl, combine the apple, dried cranberries, walnuts, mushrooms, bacon, rosemary, thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss until well mixed.
- Spread the apple-cranberry stuffing on top of each breast, up to to 1/4-inch from the edge.
- Roll up each breast tightly and tie with cooking twine.
- Season the rolled breasts generously on all sides.
- Heat some cooking fat in a large ovenproof skillet placed over medium-high heat.
- Brown each turkey breast on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Place the skillet in the oven, uncovered, and roast for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Allow the breasts to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.