This Paleo adaptation of a banana split adds some interest and fun to a plate of fruit for dessert, and it’s easy to tweak so it’s exactly to your tastes. Customize the base recipe with any kind of fruit and nuts you like: you could go with berries or pick another fruit and just cut it to the right size. The same goes for the nuts; pick your favorite mix and don’t be afraid to experiment (for convenience, you can often find slivered or chopped nuts in the baking aisle).
All laid out on a plate with the sauce thing everything together, it looks pretty fancy, but this is actually one treat that’s easy to pull together – without any Paleo baking to do, the actual work is done in just a few minutes. It’s nice for the days when you don’t want to spend a lot of time and energy on dessert, or if you just don’t feel well eating a lot of nuts.
This recipe is also very convenient if you can’t eat chocolate or just happen not to like it that much: a sweet fruity sauce drizzled over the top gives you a topping without the more traditional chocolate sauce. For an AIP-friendly or just a nut-free version, you could also replace the roasted nuts with toasted coconut flakes. Try it out however you like it, and enjoy a sweet dessert to share with someone special.
Fruit Banana Split Recipe
Protein: 6g / %
Carbs: 93g / %
Fat: 10g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup nuts of your choice, roasted and chopped
- Fresh fruits, sliced
Ingredients for the strawberry and blueberry sauce
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine the honey and water in a saucepan placed over a medium heat.
- Stir in the blueberries and strawberries and stir until well mixed.
- Bring to a boil; then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce in a food processor, and pulse until smooth.
- Arrange each sliced banana on a plate and top with fresh fruits of your choice.
- Drizzle the blueberry and strawberry sauce all over the banana, and sprinkle with roasted nuts.