Jerk seasoning and BBQ sauce compliment each other perfectly on these baked, then grilled ribs. The flavor of the ribs begins with the Caribbean, jerk-style spice rub. After rubbing in the spices, the ribs spend a few hours in the oven. After being removed from the oven, and just before being tossed on the grill, they’re basted with a homemade barbecue sauce. Ribs don’t get any better than this!
The list of ingredients for both the spice rub and BBQ sauce can seem intimating, but you’ll probably have most of it on hand. Sure, making the BBQ sauce instead of pouring it from the bottle takes a bit more time and effort, but will be worth it! BBQ sauce can be full of sugar and artificial ingredients, so just make it yourself.
A side dish will have a hard task of competing with these ribs, but a coleslaw, grilled pineapple or fruit salad would pair well. Oh, and don’t forget to bring out the napkins while chowing down on these ribs!
Jamaican-Style Ribs Recipe
Protein: 41g / %
Carbs: 28g / %
Fat: 50g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. racks baby back pork ribs, membrane removed
Jerk Seasoning Ingredients
- 2 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup homemade ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Rub the ribs evenly with 3/4 of the jerk seasoning.
- Wrap the ribs and bake in the oven 2 to 3 hours.
- Combine all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a small saucepan with the remaining jerk seasoning over medium heat.
- Simmer 9 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let the sauce cool down.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Baste all the ribs generously with the BBQ sauce, and place on the grill.
- Grill the ribs 15 minutes, turning once in a while, basting with BBQ sauce every 4 to 5 minutes.