Beets are intensely colored, antioxidant-rich vegetables, with an earthy flavor that people either love or take care to avoid. They can even be considered an acquired taste, just like Brussels sprouts. If you have already discovered the charms of eating beets, either through a spicy borscht, or a Mediterranean-style beet salad, know that you are in for a real treat with the addition of kale and pepitas in this simple salad. Raw beets and apples combine wonderfully in any sort of salad, with a little bit of minced onion thrown in for good measure, sometimes beets are better cooked – for a softer texture and sweeter flavor.
If it is your first time cooking beets, you may have some questions. For instance, how to get started? Boiling is the easiest, most fool-proof way to pre-cook them. Scrub your beets and chop off the leaves, leaving about an inch on top. Add beets to a pot and cover them with approximately 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer with a lid on. Cook until tender, but not mushy. At this point, transfer them to an ice water bath, or as cold as the tap can handle, and the skins should peel right off.
That’s all the cooking that you will need to perform for this salad. If you desire more protein, simply boil an egg to perfection and serve it alongside the salad. And don’t forget to sprinkle pepitas (roasted pumpkins seeds) or sunflower seeds on, in the end!
Kale, Beet And Apple Salad Recipe
Protein: 6g / %
Carbs: 22g / %
Fat: 22g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 cups curly kale, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 beets, boiled and chopped
- 1/4 cup pepitas or sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
Lemon Dressing Ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar or another 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. honey, or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl whisk together ingredients for the dressing until well emulsified. Season to taste.
- Place kale in large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Lightly scrunch kale with hands to massage and soften the leaves.
- Add in remaining salad ingredients and mix.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently.
- Serve immediately or let the salad sit for 10 minutes to meld the flavors.