If you have been looking for an interesting way to eat beets, perhaps something a bit more sophisticated than marinated beets, then now is the time to try them prepared Mediterranean style. Well, some people may say that they do not like beets, yet if they knew the health-filled benefits of eating them, they may just change their minds.
Beets are known to help lower your blood pressure, reduce inflammation, boost your stamina (think beet juice for your next workout!), and they also appear to have some anti-cancer properties. When you think about your health in terms of what you eat – to remain in and to achieve glowing health – beets are a must to add to your plate. If you have leftover greens, do not toss them! The beet greens are the same, often times more, nutritious than the tuber below the soil. Just give them a good rinsing off and you can eat them raw, steamed, or however you like, combing them with chard and other leafy greens.
Here are a couple of simple add-ons to the salad: if you would like to bring in a bit of dairy (sheep or goat), then feta cheese is a complete match in our minds. If you desire even more of Greek dining experience, then arrange a handful of your favorite olives around the plate and dive in as is, or combine it with a Greek-style burger on the side.
Mediterranean-Style Beet Salad Recipe
Protein: 4g / %
Carbs: 24g / %
Fat: 14g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lbs. red beets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a light boil and add the beets.
- Boil the beets until fork tender, 30 to 45 min, let them rest until cool.
- Peel off the skin and cut beets into cubes.
- In a bowl, combine the diced beets, garlic, green onion, olive oil, cilantro, and season to taste.
- Toss everything gently, serve right away, or refrigerate.