A burger without the bun is very Keto indeed, now add a bunch of sun-dried tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, diced onion and feta cheese and we are onto something amazing and flavorful. All of a sudden it is quite hard to pass the burger on by. It is so simple, yet it really feels like you are treating yourself to something that you know, and sometimes crave, all so well.
Feta is an excellent cheese to add to the burgers, as it is made from ewe’s milk, or a mixture of sheep and goat – both grazing animals. If you cannot handle dairy, take the liberty to remove it from the burgers – they taste excellent without too! However, there are dairy-free Paleo cheeses that may suit this recipe, more than one, in fact, whether you are looking for one with or without nuts.
If you are feeling adventurous, a keto dill or tzatziki sauce may be your choice of condiments – it compliments the Greek flavors wonderfully and you may even believe that you are eating a gyro. If you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and swap out the beef for ground lamb instead, making sure that the meat isn’t too lean. If you are going to enjoy a lush burger, better make it nice and juicy with plenty of sizzling fat. Tomato, lettuce and onion are completely optional, but highly recommended.
Keto Greek-Style Burgers Recipe
Protein: 35g / %
Carbs: 9g / %
Fat: 30g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato slices, to serve
- Lettuce, to serve
- Onion slices, to serve
- In a bowl combine the ground beef, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, red onion, feta, egg, and season to taste.
- Mix everything until well combined and form 4 large patties with the mixture.
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the patties 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until desired doneness.
- Serve the patties topped with tomato, lettuce, and onion, or any toppings of your choice.