Delve into the exotic flavors of Brazil with our mouthwatering Moqueca, a traditional fish stew that's sure to impress. Bursting with flavor, the juicy chunks of cod, halibut, haddock, sea bass, or sole, are cooked to perfection in a zesty combination of coconut milk, turmeric-flavored oil, and seasonings that will leave your taste buds singing.
Moqueca, A Brazilian Fish Stew
Seafood is a fantastic choice to incorporate into a healthy diet, and the fish in this dish is no exception. This Moqueca recipe is full of healthy ingredients and exotic flavors that are both exciting and good for you.
Try pairing your Moqueca with a delicious veggie side like roasted vegetables or a fresh salad for a meal that's both filling and nutritious.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 25 min Cook Time: 20 min
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• ¼ cup coconut oil
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 ¼ lbs fish fillets, cut in large chunks
• 2 tablespoon cooking fat
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 bell pepper, diced
• 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 8 drops hot sauce
• 2 tablespoon chopped scallions
• 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
• 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
• Sea salt and black pepper to taste
• ¼ cup lime juice
How to Make Moqueca, A Brazilian Fish Stew
To make turmeric oil, combine ½ teaspoon of turmeric and ¼ cup of coconut oil in a small saucepan. Cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Measure out ¼ cup of lime juice and mix with minced garlic in a bowl. Season the mixture with 1 teaspoon of sea salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Add 2 ¼ pounds of fish fillets to the seasoned mixture.
In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of cooking fat. Add diced onion and bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. Then, add 4 seeded and diced tomatoes and 8 drops of hot sauce, stir, and cook for 4 minutes.
Gently place the seasoned fish fillets on top of the liquid in the frying pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and scallions on top. Pour the can of coconut milk and the turmeric-flavored oil on top.
Season again with salt and pepper to your taste. Cover the frying pan and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally and stirring the liquid around the fish to prevent sticking.
More Stew Recipes
A hearty stew is the perfect comfort food meal. Whether you want something broth-based or creamy, the list below has great ideas to fit into your menu. Bookmark your favorites to make soon.
- Quick and Creamy Chicken Stew
- Nicoise Chicken Stew Recipe
- Bison Stew Recipe
- Simple Lamb Stew Recipe
- Creamy Mushroom Stew Recipe
- Hearty Crab Stew Recipe
Moqueca Brazillian Fish Stew
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 ¼ lbs fish fillets (halibut, sole, or bass) cut in large chunks
- 2 tablespoon cooking fat
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 4 tomatoes seeded and diced
- 8 drops hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 can 14 oz coconut milk
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup lime juice
- In a small saucepan, combine ½ teaspoon turmeric and ¼ cup coconut oil. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes to make turmeric-flavored oil. Set aside to cool.½ teaspoon turmeric, ¼ cup coconut oil
- Combine ¼ cup lime juice, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a bowl. Add 2 ¼ lbs fish fillets to the seasoned mixture.3 garlic cloves, 2 ¼ lbs fish fillets (halibut, sole, or bass), ¼ cup lime juice, Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoon cooking fat in a frying pan. Add diced onion and bell pepper, sauté for 3 minutes until onions are translucent. Stir in 4 diced seeded tomatoes and 8 drops of hot sauce. Cook for 4 minutes.2 tablespoon cooking fat, 1 large onion, 1 bell pepper, 4 tomatoes, 8 drops hot sauce
- Place seasoned fish fillets on top of the mixture. Add 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro and scallions. Pour a 14 oz can of coconut milk and the turmeric-flavored oil on top.2 tablespoon chopped scallions, 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves, 1 can
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the frying pan and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Stir the liquid around the fish to prevent sticking.
- Adjust the heat with more or less hot sauce.
- Use any firm white fish you prefer.