This savory and flavorful chowder is stocked with fresh vegetables, seafood, pancetta, and cooks quite quickly. The chunky vegetables will take a few minutes to boil and soften, however the shrimp and mussels are added toward the end and will be ready in short order.
The chili paste and coconut milk add Thai-inspired flavors, and the coconut milk adds a rich and creamy addition to the broth. Red chili paste can be found in most stores; be sure to check the ingredient label to ensure no artificial ingredients are added. If you haven’t cooked mussels before, be sure to properly prepare them by soaking, scrubbing, trimming it’s “beard”, and ensuring the shells remain closed.
Mussels And Shrimp Chowder Recipe
Protein: 44g / %
Carbs: 18g / %
Fat: 24g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 to 4 lb. mussels, rinse thoroughly;
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined;
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes;
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced;
- 1/2 lb. pancetta, cubed;
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced;
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 2 tbsp. chili paste;
- 2 cups coconut milk;
- Fresh parsley, minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Bring a large saucepan with 4 cups of water to a boil. Place the cubed sweet potatoes and sliced carrots in the boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sweet potatoes and carrots and set aside, but keep the water in the saucepan.
- In a second saucepan, cook the pancetta and stir for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked carrots, sweet potatoes and chili paste and stir to combine ingredients. Season to taste.
- Add the shrimp and cook until no longer pink, roughly 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, and stir. Then, add 2 cups of the potato water, and stir again.
- Bring to a soft boil and add the mussels. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.