Chicken drumsticks are a simple and inexpensive main course for any diner, but for a Paleo diet, we need to watch out for drumsticks that use non-Paleo breading. In this recipe, you get to enjoy a savory, breaded drumstick by swapping out white flour for almond flour, an ingredient that’s easy to find online or in your local grocery store. This recipe takes a bit of time to bake, but the prep is super quick, leaving you uninterrupted time to get other things done while you wait on your chicken to finish cooking.
Almond flour works really well as a substitute for breading in cooking – since the overall flavors of the dish are powered by the chicken and spices, you won’t notice the difference in flavor as much as you would if you were using this in baking. If you don’t have almond flour on hand, coconut flour works just as well in this recipe – just note this will lead to a distinctively different flavor.
Since these drumsticks have such a strong flavor palette already, we think it’s best to pair this dish with hearty side dishes that complement them. Try creating a picnic-themed dinner with this main course by adding servings of the chunky egg and potato salad and the fruit salad with mint and lime for a wonderful sweet and savory plate.
Mustard-Crusted Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Protein: 44g / %
Carbs: 14g / %
Fat: 47g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 8 to 10 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 2 cups almond meal or almond flour
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut milk, lemon juice, and mustard.
- Add the chicken to the mustard mixture and toss until everything is well coated.
- In a another bowl, combine the garlic, thyme, lemon zest, and almond meal; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip each chicken piece into the almond meal mixture, making sure to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken in the oven 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest 4 to 5 minutes and serve.