Citrus and spice combine to make this chicken delicious – and give it a beautiful golden color, thanks to the turmeric and the fruit. It’s not a combination most people default to, so if you’re looking for a way to make your poultry interesting again, this is one tasty option that probably isn’t in the regular rotation. Chicken thighs are also a nice change if you’re used to breasts; they’re richer and have a lot more flavor (and don’t forget to save the bones for stock!)
When you’re choosing orange juice, just make sure to check the ingredients list on the carton – you’d be amazed at the junk that hides in there. Go for a kind without a bunch of unwanted extras, or squeeze your own for maximum freshness.
This recipe would be perfect if you’re in a rush to get something on the table, because you don’t need any marinating time to get the flavor from the sauce; just pour it over the chicken and go. Throw a tray full of vegetables in the oven to roast with the meat, and it’ll all be done at the same time, ready for a quick and tasty dinner with barely any prep time.
Orange-Spiced Chicken Recipe
Protein: 101g / %
Carbs: 28g / %
Fat: 64g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 to 4 lbs. chicken thighs
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a bowl, combine the orange juice, honey, garlic, coriander, cumin, and turmeric, and whisk until combined.
- Season each chicken thigh with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish and pour the sauce over, making sure everything is well coated.
- Place an orange slice on top of each chicken thigh.
- Place in the preheated oven and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour.