The good news is that you don’t have to say goodbye to ice cream when following a Paleo diet. The bad news is that you’ll absolutely have to make it yourself. Some health food stores now offer a coconut milk alternative to regular ice cream, but I think it still contains some nasty ingredients. Making it yourself can actually be fun and rewarding. You’ll impress everybody when they learn that you made the ice cream yourself from A to Z, and you have much more control over the final result.
This recipe is 100% Paleo and while you have the option of adding some sugary indulgences like dark chocolate or honey, it’s completely up to you. You don’t have to add anything sugary to get a great result that’ll please everybody. You can leave it plain like your usual vanilla ice cream or add any of your favorite flavorings during the preparation process. Fruits, coconut flakes, nuts or mint are all good options, as are honey or chocolate if you want a little treat. You can always prepare the ice cream plain and add any of those other options when serving so you can enjoy different flavors every time.
People are often worried about making ice cream because they don’t have an ice cream machine, but it’s not much more complicated or time consuming without one. The trick is to fully cool the custard in the refrigerator before putting it in a bowl in the freezer and vigorously whisking it every 30 minutes for about 2 to 3 hours while it freezes. This will prevent hard crystals from forming and will produce the same smooth ice cream you’d expect from an ice cream machine.
This is a real ice cream made using an egg custard. Unlike simpler ice cream recipes not based on a custard, this one will be much richer and will feel like the real ice cream you’re used to. It takes a bit more work on your part, but the result will speak for itself.
Paleo coconut vanilla ice cream recipe
Protein: 11g / %
Carbs: 58g / %
Fat: 41g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
Ingredients for the base
- 1 can coconut milk, full-fat;
- 2 eggs or 4 egg yolks (yolks alone will give even more richness);
- Seeds from 2 fresh vanilla beans or 2 tbsp real vanilla extract.
Possible flavoring options (add any or a combination of the fallowing flavorings)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite berries (chopped or blended to a puree);
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes;
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint;
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts;
- Lemon, lime or orange zest;
- 3 tbsp raw honey;
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or flakes (you can take a high quality dark chocolate and chop it yourself to your liking).
- Boil some water in a pot and reduce to a simmer.
- Place a heat proof bowl over it to create a double boiler and pour the coconut milk in it. Put vanilla seeds or vanilla extract with the coconut milk and heat until hot, but make sure it doesn’t come to a boil. If using flavorings such as mint or dark chocolate, you can add them now. You can also add chocolate at the end of the process to keep the pieces whole.
- Whisk the eggs or yolks in a separate bowl. Temper the eggs by adding one ladleful of the now hot coconut milk while whisking quite vigorously to slowly bring the temperature up without cooking the eggs. Add two or three more ladlefuls of the coconut milk mixture and incorporate them to the eggs while whisking continuously.
- Pour the tempered eggs into the double boiler and continue whisking.
- Whisk for a couple of minutes non-stop to form a thick custard. Make sure it doesn’t get too hot and the simmering water doesn’t touch the mixture.
- Once the custard is ready, remove from the heat source and let it cool on the counter or in the refrigerator.
- You can add any other flavoring you want to use once the custard is cold enough to comfortably put a finger in it.
- Let it cool even more in the refrigerator before freezing it.
- Put in your ice cream maker and follow its instructions or put in a baking dish in the freezer and stir vigorously every 30 minutes for about 2 to 3 hours until it’s set.
- Take it out of the freezer for about 10 minutes before enjoying so it softens a bit. Serve with added coconut milk, berries, mint, coconut flakes or any other flavoring you might like.