Fall is the season for crisp apples, big squashes and juicy pears. Find a fresh pear and slice it up over a big pile of fresh greens and drizzle with a sweet and zesty vinaigrette. Root veggies and squashes can be a bit heavy, so if you’re craving something light and green, this salad is right up that alley.
Pears are like avocados; some are too hard, some are too soft — finding the perfect one takes some investigative work. Here’s how to find a ripe pear: press on the top of the pear. If it gives to the pressure, then the pear is ready to eat. If the top is too soft, the pear is overripe. Avoid pears with bruises or dark soft spots.
If you want to make this into a lunch, add a chicken beast or a side of leftover protein. You can even add a little bacon for a bit of that smoky bacon flavor!
Pear Salad With Honey-Citrus Vinaigrette Recipe
Protein: 3g / %
Carbs: 15g / %
Fat: 14g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, chopped;
- 1 pear, sliced;
- 1/2 cucumber, diced;
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved;
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved;
Ingredients for the Honey-Citrus Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp. fresh orange juice;
- 1 tbsp. orange zest;
- 2 tsp. raw honey;
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl or jar, mix all the ingredients for the vinaigrette, season to taste, and whisk until well combined.
- Add all the ingredients for the salad into a big salad bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and toss gently until well coated.