This Monday night meal of slow cooker BBQ chicken drumsticks is sure to be requested and repeated time and time again. Here’s why: drumsticks are fairly inexpensive, it uses common spices that you have on hand, it cooks by itself while you go about your busy day and, oh, the delectable flavors of barbecue and honey… Feel free to imagine the enticing aromas as you come home after a long day at work and salivate, if you must, but make this recipe you will.
It does take a homemade BBQ sauce, if you have some on hand you are already on the right track and can get straight to work. If not, you can pre-plan to make a large, double or triple batch on the weekend, to ease into planned meals for the week. Trust us, it is well worth the time and energy to make your own Paleo sauces and condiments, so that you consume only the ingredients that you want and nothing that you don’t. After all, once you discover how well Paleo ranch dressing goes with BBQ sauce, you will be forever dipping your drumsticks, your wings and your fresh vegetable sticks into it.
Just as this recipe is a great way to begin the week, it is somehow terrific for lunches, and weekends, too. An all-rounder that never fails to please, especially when it is combined with grilled sweet potatoes – you can lovingly dip those “chips” in the same sauces!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Protein: 68g / %
Carbs: 50g / %
Fat: 26g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 10 to 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 cup homemade BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic, onion powder, and season to taste.
- Season the chicken drumsticks with the spice mixure and place in a slow cooker.
- In another bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, and honey.
- Pour the BBQ sauce over the drumsticks and cover.
- Cook on low, 6 to 8 hours.