Summer is the season for rolls and the time to eat them is now. No, not the puffy, gluten-filled rolls… those are from the pre-Paleo time of our lives. Now we are onto green, wholesome goodness combined with colorful fresh organic produce straight from the garden. So, summer rolls, what are we talking about then? Raw kale leaves expertly prepared with the spines removed, then rolled up with little slivers of carrots, pepper, cucumber and chicken. And get ready for the coconut-cashew dipping sauce. That is the highlight of this light appetizer or lunch.
Lacinato kale leaves, otherwise called cavolo nero or black cabbage, originate from the Tuscany region of Italy. They are a traditional ingredient of minestrone – if you get creative you can make a Paleo version of that delightful soup too. While cruciferous kale is touted as a super food, it doesn’t take much convincing to feel that it is good for you – kale has anti-inflammatory properties, it helps lower cholesterol, it has more iron than beef and it is a great source of fiber. It is an all-around nutritious vegetable.
Catering for a dinner party and need a set of appetizers for the occasion? Summer vegetable beef rolls are the spot on match, one roll cooked, one roll grilled, and so on. If you have leftover kale leaves, we cannot resist telling you that kale chips are a snack that you must not live without, and once you try them, you will discover the reason why.
Summer Rolls Recipe
Protein: 12g / %
Carbs: 17g / %
Fat: 13g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 8-10 Large lacinato kale leaves, hard spines removed
- Julienned carrot
- Julienned cucumber
- Julienned bell pepper
- Cooked shredded chicken
Coconut-Cashew Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tbsp. cashew butter
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp. crushed ginger
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the prepared kale leaf on a chopping board then add carrot, cucumber, pepper and shredded chicken.
- Tuck in the sides of the leaf and carefully roll up.
- Continue making more rolls with the remaining ingredients.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Adjust seasoning then serve alongside the summer rolls.