Learn all about carbs, the good ones and the bad ones, in Your Guide to Paleo
How many carbs should I be eating? That depends. Most people feel good with carbs as roughly 20% of calories. To give you a clearer idea of what this looks like in the real world, a sample day’s carb intake for a healthy, active adult could include all the following:
- 1 banana
- 1 serving of scalloped sweet potatoes
- 1 serving of pesto mashed potatoes
- 1 serving of acorn squash soup
- Plus as many miscellaneous non-starchy vegetables as you like.
Are carbs OK for weight loss? Yes; they’re fine. Most people do not need to go extremely low-carb to lose weight. On the other hand, carbs aren’t required for weight loss. Maybe you even prefer a ketogenic (extremely low-carb) diet – that’s fine, too. It’s all about what works for you.
Why carbs are important…
- For your immune system
- For your thyroid
- For healthy weight gain
- For saving money
- For healthy sleep
- For energy (especially for athletes and workout fuel)
- For fertility and pregnancy
- For treating constipation
What are some good sources of Paleo carbs?