Paleo Leap Carb Directory
Carbs are such a common source of confusion in the Paleo world that we’ve put together an entire directory page to help you figure it out. Click on the links below to go to the exact spot within a particular article where you’ll find the goods on carbs.
How many carbs should I be eating?
That depends. Most people feel good with carbs as roughly 20% of calories. To give you a clearer idea of what this looks like in the real world, a sample day’s carb intake for a healthy, active adult could include all the following:
- 1 banana
- 1 serving of scalloped sweet potatoes
- 1 serving of pesto mashed potatoes
- 1 serving of acorn squash soup
- Plus as many miscellaneous non-starchy vegetables as you like.
Are carbs OK for weight loss?
Yes; they’re fine. Most people do not need to go extremely low-carb to lose weight. On the other hand, carbs aren’t required for weight loss. Maybe you even prefer a ketogenic (extremely low-carb) diet – that’s fine, too. It’s all about what works for you. Here’s an explanation of the overlap and differences between low-carb and Paleo.
What about insulin? Insulin is a hormone released in response to eating carbs. Here’s what you need to know:
Why carbs are important…
- For your immune system
- For your thyroid
- For healthy weight gain
- For saving money
- For healthy sleep
- For energy (especially for athletes and workout fuel)
- For fertility and pregnancy
- For treating constipation
- For heading off cravings before they start