If you’re looking for something a little bit different to do with ground beef, check this out as an interesting change from meatloaf or scrambles. It’s not quite a chili, but it’s got the same heartiness and comfort value: a rich base of tomatoes and homemade bone broth, the earthy sweetness of root vegetables, and the garlic and chili pepper perking it up with a hint of spice.
This is a soup that calls to you after a hard day: haul out your cutting board and take the aggression out on some defenceless root vegetables for a few minutes, then settle down with a cup of tea and wait for your comfort food to be done. If you’ve already got a batch ready to go in the freezer it’s even easier: just throw it in the microwave or into a saucepan for instant, heat-and-eat comfort.
This recipe is also very budget-friendly; ground beef is typically one of the cheapest ways to get your grass-fed animal products in, and the rest of the vegetables can easily be modified to fit whatever you can find on sale. Try it when you need a quick and easy dinner, or just cook up a big batch and save it for a rainy day. You never know when you’ll need something easy and nourishing to tide you through a rough spot, and with a healthy soup waiting in the freezer, you’ll always be ready to make healthy choices in a pinch.
Chunky Meat and Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2-1/2 lbs. ground beef;
- 1 large onion, diced;
- 2 celery stalks, diced;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, or three large tomatoes, diced;
- 3 cups beef broth;
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and diced;
- 4 whole carrots, peeled and sliced;
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks;
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste;
- ½ tsp. ground oregano;
- 1 tsp. chili powder;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Brown the meat with the onion, garlic, and celery in a large saucepan placed over a medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan, season to taste, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.