An elegant dinner for 2, or one of many fish at a Paleo party for plenty, whole roasted fish stuffed with apple and citrus is sure to fit the bill. And it is not as expensive to make as you might imagine.
White fish (not a type of fish) refers to several species of mild-flavored fish that live on or near the sea floor. Like the name suggests, their flesh is dry and white, and the meat will take on the flavor of the sauce, herbs and spices you cook them in – as opposed to oily fish such as tuna, salmon and mackerel. The most common white fish are Atlantic cod, tilapia, haddock, whiting, bream, bass, halibut and hake, so don’t stress about which one will be perfect in this dish, just choose the freshest you can find. If your favorite white fish is not available, refrain from being disappointed as there are many that can be used for multiple purposes (chowders, frying, searing, baking). When in doubt, ask your chosen fishmonger for help in selecting the best one, for stuffing in this case.
For more inspiration in baking a whole fish you can also sample grilled trout the next time a dinner party rolls around. If you want to experiment more with white fish, then we can highly recommend fish tacos made with wild-caught tilapia – you can eat it any day of the week and if you are eating alone, well, then there will be more for you!
Apple-Citrus Stuffed Whole Roasted Fish Recipe
Protein: 38g / %
Carbs: 23g / %
Fat: 26g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 whole white fish, cleaned and scaled
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- Fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Score skin of each fish with diagonal cuts.
- Rub inside flesh of each fish with olive oil, lemon juice, and season to taste.
- Stuff the inside of each fish with 1 rosemary sprig, sliced apple, lemon and lime.
- Place the fish on a baking dish and top with remaining lemon and lime slices and fresh parsley.
- Place in the oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.