In your search for a dairy-free Keto chicken and broccoli casserole you may not have found exactly what you were looking for. Most recipes involve cheddar cheese, cream cheese, or sour cream, but who says that broccoli always have to be smothered in creamy dairy? It is tasty for sure, yet there are other delicious ways of improving the flavor of food. Often it is accomplished with herbs, other times with coconut milk.
Whether you are following a Paleo or keto lifestyle, coconut milk may be a staple in your low-carb pantry. However, you will want to carefully read the labels on cans of coconut milk if you are concerned about the effects of guar gum or Bisphenol-A (BPA) in your diet. Refrigerated cartons of coconut milk may also contain preservatives or added sweeteners. One can never be too careful! Alternatively, you can skip the excess packaging and questionable ingredients and make your own homemade coconut milk in less than 10 minutes. Here’s how: heat 4 cups of water (not quite boiling) and add it to 1.5 – 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut in a blender; blend on high until the mixture thickens and strain through layers of cheesecloth. It keeps for a few days in the fridge, just stir before using.
Keto Chicken And Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Protein: 32g / %
Carbs: 16g / %
Fat: 25g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 8 to 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- 4 to 5 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken breasts to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Brown the chicken pieces on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a baking dish place the chicken, broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms.
- Pour the chicken stock over, season to taste, and cover.
- Place in the oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Remove the cover, sprinkle with bacon, green onions, and almonds.
- Pour in the coconut milk, and place back in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes longer.