It’s no wonder meatballs are a versatile family favorite; you can put them on a stick and serve as an appetizer, toss them in a bunch of zucchini noodles and tomato sauce, or lather them in a sauce and chow down. The Pineapple BBQ Sauce in this recipe is similar to that of a Hawaiian BBQ sauce; it’s tangy and sweet, yet also has depth thanks to the ginger and red pepper flakes.
Store-bought BBQ sauce can be full of sugar and artificial ingredients, however by making your own homemade BBQ sauce made with homemade ketchup, you can control the flavors and make it as sweet, spicy or tangy as you prefer.
When kids are old enough to handle raw meat, this would be a good recipe to have them help in the kitchen by rolling up the meatballs. Small hands are the right size to roll up the small meatballs and place on a baking sheet. These meatballs are great for leftovers to pack in a lunchbox, so the next day, the kids can eat what they made!
Chicken Meatballs With Pineapple Sauce Recipe
Protein: 47g / %
Carbs: 47g / %
Fat: 20g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 lb. ground chicken;
- 1 pineapple, diced;
- 1 egg;
- 1 tsp. paprika;
- 1 tsp. onion powder;
- 1 tsp. garlic powder;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
Ingredients for the Pineapple BBQ Sauce
- 4 tbsp. ketchup;
- ¼ cup coconut aminos;
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced;
- ½ cup pineapple juice;
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced;
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes;
- 2 tbsp. raw honey; (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper; (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 475 F.
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients for the pineapple BBQ sauce to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, paprika powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Form the meatballs with your hands, roughly 2 to 3 tbsp. per meatball.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meatballs are completely cooked.
- Cook the diced pineapple for 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat in a skillet, add the chicken meatballs, and pour the pineapple BBQ sauce over the meatballs.
- Toss and stir for 4 to 5 minutes, until meatballs are well coated.