Uncomplicated. Budget-friendly. Healthy. Unbelievably flavorful. What’s not to appreciate in a tasty meal that ticks all the boxes? Plus it is a stir fry, and we can think of nothing easier, or satisfying, to cook at the end of a long day. Whipping up a simple meal at home sure beats finding a Paleo approved take out place… if ever such were to exist near you?!
Mushrooms and zucchini are a must to add to this stir fry, but if you have some carrots and onions on hand, toss a couple chopped ones in for color and the sake of vegetable diversity. What you’ll want to avoid, however, is soy sauce, or any prepared dressings with preservatives and flavoring agents. Best here is to make your own sauce with coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, raw honey and a tablespoon or two of tapioca starch to thicken the sauce to a perfect consistency. If you cannot tolerate tapioca starch for whatever reason, you may substitute coconut, rice or potato flour instead, just make sure to blend it well with liquid before adding it to the pan.
For that all important stir-fry side dish which helps to complete the meal, riced cauliflower is the obvious Paleo choice, though you may also want to have some heartwarming (and incredibly nutritious!) egg drop soup as an appetizer or for sipping on the side between bites of gingery chicken. If you are still searching for more inspiration, you’ll find 10 delicious stir-fry recipes here.
Chicken, Zucchini And Mushroom Stir-Fry Recipe
Protein: 55g / %
Carbs: 22g / %
Fat: 13g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless, cubed
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 2 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Set the chicken aside, then add the garlic and ginger to the same skillet.
- Cook until soft and fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and zucchini.
- Toss the vegetables and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos, honey and apple cider vinegar, and stir until well coated.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, toss everything, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix the tapioca starch with 2 tbsp. of water, and pour into the skillet – whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink.
- Serve topped with green onions.