Oven-roasted mushrooms are extra delicious a rich, creamy pan sauce – it’s like the Paleo-vegetarian version of meatballs in cream sauce. This would be a lovely filling dish to make if you’re expecting any vegetarian guests (or modify it for vegans by replacing the butter with another type of cooking fat).
This recipe calls for coconut cream – that’s not exactly the same thing as coconut milk. To get coconut cream, you have two options:
- Buy a can of coconut cream. Trader Joe’s sells it in small cans by the coconut milk, and so do some other supermarkets.
- Buy a can of full-fat (not lite! This will not work with lite!) coconut milk and refrigerate it. After a day, take it out, turn it upside-down, and open it. Pour out the water at the top. The thick white stuff left at the bottom is the cream.
The finished mushrooms would be great with any kind of roasted chicken, or maybe some pork tenderloin – the rich sauce is a nice combination with a slightly leaner protein. Or try them over some spaghetti squash “pasta” as a way to add some interest to a classic Paleo side dish.
Creamy Garlic Mushrooms Recipe
Add to Meal Plan
- 16 oz. mushrooms, wiped clean, and stems trimmed;
- 4 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1/2 cup coconut cream;
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs;
- 2 tbsp. clarified butter or other cooking fat;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Melt cooking fat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic to skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the thyme sprigs and cook for another minute.
- Place the mushrooms, cap side down, on top of the thyme and garlic.
- Season the mushrooms to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and roast in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and place back on the stovetop over low heat.
- Pour in the coconut milk and continue cooking over low heat until warm, scraping up the fond (the little browned bits) from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the thyme sprig and serve warm.