Wholesome, hearty and homemade. Nowadays, those are three key ingredients to serving a nutritious meal at the dining room table, surrounded by family and friends, quality conversation and much laughter. With so much time and money spent eating out, it is refreshing to cook up and serve a much appreciated meal using the pots and pans in your own home. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
You’ll need a deeper skillet for this dish, though a larger saucepan will do nicely if that’s what you have ready and waiting for service. It is essential to brown the chicken on all sides, then remove the thighs to continue cooking the rest of the ingredients. Once the onion, garlic and mushrooms are done, you will add the chicken stock, coconut milk and spices. Let them simmer for a few moments before carefully placing the chicken back in the pan. Give it a good 20 minutes to soak up the flavors, tossing in the spinach near the end.
Add a side of Dijon and pecan asparagus to entertain your guests – in case the conversation ceases, this may be exactly the reason why. When you cook at home, getting more leafy greens into the meal has its advantages; you can steam or sautée some beet greens or chard, you could even toss in a handful of watercress along with the spinach while the chicken is cooking away. Combine herbs to your liking, be creative with new combinations and soon everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
Creamy Mushroom And Spinach Chicken Recipe
Protein: 44g / %
Carbs: 12g / %
Fat: 34g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 to 5 chicken thighs, bone-in & skin on
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken pieces to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt the cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the coconut milk, basil and oregano; give everything a good stir.
- Place chicken back into the pan, cover and cook on medium heat until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach, toss everything and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley.