For Paleo eaters, many traditional Italian dishes are off-limits, especially those made with “whole-grain” ingredients. We love creating recipes like this one that allow you to enjoy the best of the Italian flavors without giving up Paleo standards. In this dish, you’ll be prepping a simple garlic chicken breast course accompanied by an all-in-one tomato sauce and zucchini noodles bowl. The zoodle substitution allows you to enjoy Italian without imbibing in the grain-filled pastas so common in most Italian foods.
For this recipe, you’ll need to create zucchini zoodles using a spiralizer. This nifty kitchen tool is perfect for transforming vegetables into pasta replacements and is usually inexpensive and easy to use. While some food processors include a spiralizer attachment, you can easily find these in most stores as a stand-alone product. Manual spiralizers aren’t too expensive either, and for veggies like zucchini, are easy to work with. If zucchini isn’t your thing, you can always pair this with another zoodle option.
For this dish, you have the benefit of a complete meal without needing to add side dishes to round things out. One of the ways we do like to pair this, however, is with a simple, cold salad. A great option for this is the fresh vegetable salad with black olives – you can customize this based on your preferences.
Garlic-Basil Chicken With Zoodles Recipe
Protein: 65g / %
Carbs: 26g / %
Fat: 48g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless;
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced;
- 4 garlic cloves, minced;
- 2 tsp. paprika;
- ¼ cup olive oil;
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
Ingredients for the Tomato Sauce and Zoodles
- 2 large zucchinis, spiralized;
- 6 tomatoes, diced;
- 1 cup tomato sauce;
- 1/2 onion, diced;
- 4 garlic cloves, minced;
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste;
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, and basil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the chicken with the lemon-basil mixture evenly and place on a baking dish.
- Cook the chicken 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Simmer the sauce 12 to 15 minutes and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Add the zucchini to the tomato sauce and toss until well coated.
- Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until the zoodles are soft.
- Serve the chicken with the tomato sauce zoodles.