Stuffing is so much more than toasted breadcrumbs and spices – as someone with a gluten intolerance, or the wish to gain radiant health through a low-carb diet, can attest to. Sure, you can go through the arduous steps of making a grain-free almond bread and crumbling it for a Keto-friendly option, but the holidays are stressful enough with so much cooking and running around, so why not use the tried and true vegetable and meat approach to create a flavorful side dish for entertaining?
It’s simple. Pan-fry the onion, garlic, celery and cauliflower; mix with sausage, pecans and a whole egg, give it a good old stir and bake to perfection (about 30 minutes) in the oven. In choosing the best sausage meat, you will want to take the following into consideration: make sure it is free of gluten (read the label every time!) and cornstarch, watch out for sweeteners and any other artificial additives. When in doubt, or you cannot find the high-quality that you are looking for, you can go the DIY route and make your own. Keep in mind that sausage meat is nothing more than ground meat and spices, so if you are already tossing the casings away, it makes perfect sense to make your own special mix.
Scrumptious keto stuffing deserves a baked bird by its side, why not try it with a whole oven-roasted five spice chicken? A small portion of cabbage and Brussels sprouts salad is on order too, to make the meal palatably complete.
Keto Stuffing Recipe
Protein: 26g / %
Carbs: 12g / %
Fat: 53g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 lb. sausage meat, out of casing
- 1 egg
- 5-8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large pan, cook the onion and celery in oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes before adding the garlic. Cook for another minute; then season to taste and remove from the heat. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl mix the sausage meat and pecans with the cauliflower mixture, egg, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an oven-proof dish and top with fresh thyme.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.