If you’ve ever been in the situation where you find yourself hosting dinner for friends, you probably know very well the feeling of desperation that can come with the responsibility. This is even more true when you’re on a budget – we’ve been there. So trust us when we say that a whole chicken is probably the best remedy for this situation – it’s are delicious, versatile, everyone loves it, and it’s are extremely cost-efficient for the amount of meat you get. If you’ve never cooked a whole bird before, it may seem a little frightening – but, if you follow the instructions below, this meal will come together beautifully.
In this recipe, you’ll be creating your own marinade sauce using a combination of Paleo-friendly ingredients, some of which may not be quite as familiar. For example, coconut aminos, which serve as a soy sauce replacement, may not be available at your local grocery store. Try buying these online in advance, or checking out the specialty food sections of larger grocery chains, or go to your local health food store. You’ll also be using raw honey in this recipe – remember, this is perfectly Paleo in limited quantities! For your chicken, aim to purchase at least a 4-pound bird – you’ll need to adjust your cooking time accordingly if you go smaller or larger.
The end result for this main course is a sweet and spicy glazed protein, so make sure to serve this with side dishes that are equally impressive. For this dish, we like the idea of serving with this pecan and sweet potato side and making a large bowl of the mixed greens, fennel, and red pear salad for a table that will astound any dinner guest.
Oven-Roasted Five Spice Chicken Recipe
Protein: 29g / %
Carbs: 9g / %
Fat: 28g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. raw honey or maple syrup
- 5 to 6 tsp. fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tsp. ground five spice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chicken to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and 1 tsp. of ground five spice.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut aminos, apple juice, onion, garlic, honey and ginger.
- Place the chicken in a marinating bag and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the refrigerator and marinate 4 to 12 hours, turning or basting the chicken every few hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and empty the remaining marinade into a saucepan.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and roast in the oven 45 to 50 minutes.
- Bring the remaining marinade to a light boil and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the marinade all over the chicken and roast in the oven another 45 to 50 minutes, basting with the sauce every 15 minutes.
- Let the chicken rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.