Treat yourself to this colored bowl of red pear, fennel, kiwano and a fresh dressing. This makes for a perfect fall salad because pears are finally beginning to ripen. Pick up a pear that is freshly plucked and in season and slice it up for this salad.
You may be wondering, “what’s a horned melon, and where can I get one?” Horned melons are also known as kiwanos, African horned cucumbers, jelly melon or hedged gourds. These fruit have little spikes on the yellow-orange outer skin, hence the name “horned melons”. The inner flesh has a consistency similar to jelly and a tart taste. To eat, simply cut the fruit in half and squeeze until the seeds pop out. Horned melons can be expensive or hard to find in stores; if you can’t locate a horned melon, use a pomegranate instead.
Mixed Greens, Fennel And Red Pear Salad Recipe
Protein: 5g / %
Carbs: 47g / %
Fat: 33g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 red pear, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 horned melon (kiwano) or pomegranate, seeded
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, roasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and season to taste.
- In a salad bowl, toss in the mixed greens, red pear, fennel, blueberries, and kiwano or pomegranate seeds.
- Pour the dressing on top and toss gently.
- Serve topped with roasted coconut flakes.