Orange zest and juice bring a bright, citrusy flavor to the marinade for these fresh salmon fillets – and as soon as the fish is off the grill, it gets another dose of flavor with some fresh raspberries added for extra sweetness and color. And then plate up the whole thing on top of quickly-grilled orange slices: the char lines are visually dramatic on the flesh of the oranges, and you can eat them right up for extra flavor.
This might seem like a very summery dish, but actually, it would be totally in-season for the US right now: the peak season for Florida oranges starts in late fall and ends in the early spring. The climate is so hot that the normal growing season gets completely flipped, and the “winter” is the most productive season because the summer is just too extreme. So if you want the best oranges, now’s the time to snap them up, and this is a great way to use them.
For vegetable sides, try this with some fresh sliced cucumbers, garlic green beans, or maybe potato salad. Any leftovers would also be great with in a salad with spinach and dried cranberries (save the grilled oranges, too!).
Salmon Fillets With Orange-Raspberry Sauce Recipe
Protein: 51g / %
Carbs: 21g / %
Fat: 55g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground coriander (leave out for AIP version)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a marinating container, combine the orange juice, orange zest, ground coriander, olive oil, and season to taste.
- Add the salmon fillets, and gently shake the container to make sure all the fillets are well-coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the salmon fillets from the marinade and pour the remaining marinade into a saucepan.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, remove from heat, add the raspberries, and stir gently.
- Cook the salmon fillets on the preheated grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Cook the sliced oranges on the grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Serve the salmon with the grilled oranges, the orange-raspberry sauce, and a sprinkle of green onions on top.