It is never too late in the grilling season to try out new BBQ recipes. Heck, even in winter you can put on your woolly sweater, fire up the grill and add all the meat you please to the rack. If you are a barbecue lover you may already have your favorite sauce, but there are so many variations on the theme, why would you limit yourself to just one? Branch out and sample some blueberry BBQ sauce or BBQ peach sauce… just to make sure you aren’t missing out on anything surprisingly stupendous.
BBQ sauce usually contains either brown sugar, Worcestershire or soy sauce, but we’ll be avoiding those non-Paleo ingredients. Instead, this Paleo BBQ is made with an asian marinade that has a generous amount of coconut aminos, shredded apple and raw honey. If you are wondering whether honey is allowed if you are following a Paleo protocol, the answer is yes. This honey post explains it all. If at all possible, strive to buy organic honey which comes from bees that are not given antibiotics and that are allowed to collect the nectar from unsprayed sources. If it is good enough for the bees, then it is good enough for you!
Now, what can you serve on the plate that your guests will simply chow down on? If you want to stick with Asian flavors then we suggest kimchi or Korean-style cucumbers. But, you can also choose some more finger-licking awesome food, such as grilled sweet potatoes or oven fried pickles, or both at once if your guests are a little cheeky.
Korean BBQ Short Ribs Recipe
Protein: 87g / %
Carbs: 36g / %
Fat: 84g / %
Values are per portion. These are for information only & are not meant to be exact calculations.
- 3 lbs. beef short ribs, sliced
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp. chili paste (optional)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Green onions, sliced
- In a bowl combine the coconut aminos, raw honey, grated apple, garlic, ginger, chili paste and olive oil.
- Mix everything until well combined and pour over the short ribs.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the short ribs 4 to 5 minutes per side basting with the remaining marinade.
- Serve the short ribs topped with sliced green onions.